Making positive moves towards change: What steps do you need to take? Making it happen

You have decided that you need to change the way you live your life. You took the first step by making the decision, but now what? Like so many things in this life, knowing what to do and how to do it might be a completely different matter and because of this, and because of feeling lost or not having the tools to put your ideas into practice, you forget about it and carry on drifting. It’s difficult to know where to begin.

Take a tip from me it's possible to make that change. I am number one example. I am a psychologist by profession and much of my working life has been devoted to working for the Heath Service in one to one situations with patients. Suddenly, I am in this very different world of the web and blogging, both of which I know little about. It took a great deal of courage and belief to even imagine I could succeed at making a viable site for people to use, believe me every time I went on Google to research, it terrified me because of my ignorance. Somewhere deep inside of me didn't really believe I can do it, because it’s completely alien to me, an alien language and an alien idea. I am not one of those people who surf the net all the time. I am not well versed in al this. I am not well versed at all actually.

Anyway, enough about me, I simply wanted to give you a valid example.
You want to take control of your life. You want meaning to your life, and if you haven't yet read the articles on "The meaning of Life" you might want to read them now, because they are quite insightful.
If you follow the self help program you will see that all through modules you will see exercises where you need to identify your goals, make a plan of action and learn the steps to carry your plan of action out.
These tools will do for any situation you are in whether it is your own personal journey, work related or making life plans.

It’s important to have a starting point and have pencil and paper at the ready. Nothing happens without careful planning, neither can it happen if you don’t have a clear goal in mind, like: “I want to overcome my depression”
You will then want to ask yourself how you can start to do that and what are the possibilities available.
Writing things down is really important because you see your plan develop in hard copy, not going round in your head.

I know that when I started on all this, I filled books with my ideas and slowly got a structure of what I wanted and which direction I needed to go in. I then asked myself how do I start.
It’s always easier when you do this mind mapping in a step by step way and can analyze your options.
Wanting to overcome your depression you will want to decide where to start
“What do I need to do? Brainstorm yourself. Ask many questions of yourself, writing them down: “What needs to change?” “What am I unhappy with?” “Do I need medication” Do I need or want therapy?” “What options are open to me?”

What should be my first move?” etc, etc.

What you start to do is become assertive, activating yourself, finding a strategy and getting on track in a productive way.

I won’t go into it all as you will find all these strategies in the program, but the point I want to make is that it is easier than we imagine in our head. In our head that destination seems a long way off, perhaps unreachable, but it isn’t., not once we are on track and have a clear view of where we are going. That’s what it takes apart from determination and drive… Hopefully you have both. Hopefully you want to change your life enough to take the first step.

One step at a time, being in control and believing you can get there if you know the directions and know where you are going, just like any other journey. It’s not so daunting really and anyway you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Have faith in yourself and your abilities. Forget ,all your old conditioning about your self, all your negative beliefs about your self, throw all that away and start a fresh, with fresh new ideas, fresh hope and a fresh perspective on what you are going to achieve..

No comments:

Post a Comment